“Surely not!?’ Someone working outside of the TV advertising industry might say.’ But as we all know, getting those festive ads submitted to us as early as possible is a welcome relief for all involved. So to remind you of the vital dos and don’ts we’ve revisited the naughty list (of mostly don’ts) for you to keep in mind this year.
This is a revision of a 2018 blog called ‘Christmas ads…already’. All the advice is still relevant and in line with the BCAP code guidance. Here they are:
- Don’t have decorations or stockings hanging down over a fireplace
- Always have a fireguard present
- Don’t have roaring fires which look out of control
- Mirrors hanging above fireplaces are allowed
- If you’re going to reveal the shocking truth about Santa’s identity be prepared for an ex-kids restriction. Obviously
- Unexpected snowballs, or any snowball to the face is likely to be met with an ex-kids restriction
- There are strict rules about rules about advertising toys – demos need to be accurate, scale references need to be included, anything over £30 should be priced and if batteries are sold separately you’ll need to tell the kiddiwinks
- It can cause offence to use traditional hymns in adverts designed to sell products so please avoid this. Opt for carols and the pop classics!
Your clearance exec will happily discuss any questions you may have in more detail. Merry Autumn!